A finished object! Well, I suppose it would be more fair to call this one-half of a finished object, since the goal is a pair of socks:
This looks kinda weird cuz that's my foot modelling the first of my brother's socks, in lavender (per request) and black marled yarn from Lang Jawoll. And cuz it's not blocked, which is much more evident in the photo below.
It's a basic toe-up sock, using the magic cast-on and ribbing almost just like the Madder Ribbed Socks from Knitting Vintage Socks by Nancy Bush, but not quite. Mine is K2, P1, K5, P1, and then on the leg portion I did a twist of the two K2 stitches every 5 rows. For the twist, K2tog, leaving stitches on left needle, K1 through first stitch, lift both stitches from left needle. For the ribbed top portion, it was simple to switch to K2, P1. It doesn't show up terribly well, but you can kind of see it in this photo:
I threw in the twist because I had admired these kilt hose, but when I knit that pattern on the leg I thought it looked awful in this yarn, and the holes came out much too large for my taste. The twist gives it a tiny bit of the same look, but without the holes. I would normally want to have my cables stand out a bit more, but here they're just fine.
The whole heel saga is in the last post. Nuff said about that.
I've cast on for the second sock, knit the toe, and have started the Madder Rib on the top of the foot.
The baby for whom DD and I were knitting the Log Cabin baby blanket has arrived -- very early! But our current deadline is the shower on Nov. 12th, which hopefully the baby will be able to attend. We have at least 9 of 12 squares done, then the weaving of ends, seaming and selecting and attaching backing fabric. And just in the nick of time, I saw this post about seaming. Perfect! If I just put off all of my projects long enough, no doubt someone will post the answers to all of my questions. It's a working theory, anyway.