Auntie Ann Knits

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Socktoberfest -- My Sock History

I've joined Lolly's Socktoberfest celebration of socks, since I have a bunch of socks to make for Xmas, and it sounds like fun anyway.

Here are my answers to her questions on My Sock History:

* When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?

I taught myself, starting with some free patterns on the internet, such as the free KnitPicks pattern for their "Parade" sport-weight sock yarn, plus some help from Wendy's generic toe-up sock pattern. I started that first pair in July of this year, but I don't think I finished the second one for several months, finishing my Mom's Xmas anklet socks in between.

* What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?

Sock 1 & 2 on
Here they are, and they're still pretty new so I can't say how they're holding up, they've only been through the wash a couple of times.

* What would you have done differently?

On that pair, I would have matched the stripes more carefully, and done matching bulls'-eye forethought heels. Cuz I'm that way. Also, I have bought three sock-knitting books now, Sensational Knitted Socks by Charlene Schurch, and Knitting Vintage Socks and Folk Socks by Nancy Bush, so now I hope to make more elegant and sophisticated socks (when I'm not simple-mindedly making self-striping socks). So far I have used Knitting Vintage Socks the most, for BIL's pair, but I hope to use Sensational Knitted Socks a lot as I get better at making my own selections of stitch pattern and sock construction.

* What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?

I really like the yarn that I'm using for my BIL's socks:
First Sock Done

It's Lang Jawoll fingering weight, dark red and black barber-pole stripe, and I really like the way it knits up -- enough marling for some interest, without distracting too much from the texture of the pattern. This would be fine for a more intricately textured pattern, and I'm going to make my brother some baby cable socks from the same yarn, in a different color, for Xmas. It's a little splitty, though. And I still like self-striping sock yarn, I guess I'm easily amused.

* Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?

I'm a Magic Loop convert! But otherwise it would be 5 DPNs. Never again with 4 DPNs.

* Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)

I have yet to find a short-row heel that I can execute well, but I'm still trying since I prefer toe-up socks. I also want to try the toe-up flap-and-gusset heel, such as in Widdershins.

* How many pairs have you made?

Let's see, um, TWO. But I have two more pairs about 2/3 done each, DD's socks and my BIL's socks. And I am wanting to make two more before Xmas. Yes, I'm nuts.

Thank you, Lolly, for hosting Socktoberfest and getting us all talking about our sock-knitting! I'm having a blast with it. Last night at book club I was working on DD's socks, and our hostess's daughter said, "I'd like a pair of blue and purple socks"! I had to tell her that my knitting agenda is all booked up through Xmas, so she let it drop. But lots of people are intrigued when they see me knitting a sock. Her sister had asked me how I made the heel (I simply told her it was a short-row heel, didn't have the chance to really go into the whole thing!).

Anyway, thanks again, and happy sock-knitting to everyone!

1 Comments:

  • Hi Ann! I saw your comment about your not being able to find the patter for Rob's Twined Rib socks on my sidebar....I'm looking at my sidebar and there they are with a BIG picture plain as day (sorta near the top of the page)Please go back and have another look because I'm concerned that you are not seeing what I see! So can you go back and look again and let me know what happens? Thanx :)

    By Blogger Debi, at Wednesday, October 04, 2006 1:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home