Auntie Ann Knits

Monday, October 16, 2006

Father, Brother & Son Socks

I am using this yarn to make "Father and Son" socks from the Fall '06 IK. But I think this yarn wants to be something else. It's too marled to show the pattern details well.

The pattern has chevrons down the front and back, like so:
Chevron

And cables down the left and right side, like so:
Cable

These are terrible pix, but even so I think they show the problem. The contrast between the black and the lavender is too much, and obscures the pattern in a way that I think the marled yarn that I used for BIL's socks might not have.

Maia's post today about the process of designing a sock seemed to call forth my inner knitter, who had this to say: "This yarn and this pattern do not go together! If I make cables, I want them to POP OUT, baby! Stop struggling to convince yourself that these are not terrible, and start over already!" She is such an opinionated witch, sometimes.

Make no mistake, this is a very nice yarn, and a very nice pattern. I just think that each one needs something else that the other cannot give it. Like some couples I know.

And the yarn wants to be knit on a #1 at a slightly tighter gauge (this is knit on a #2).

By striking coincidence, I really love the pattern that Maia used to demonstrate the sock design process in her post today. For a man's sock, however, I think I would substitute one of the "make 1" increases for the YO, to avoid the holes.

However, perhaps the most important thing for me to take away from Maia's lesson is this: if I skip swatching with the justification that a sock is small enough to be a swatch, then I'd darn well better be ready to treat it as a swatch, and start over if I don't like the results.

Good-bye for now, Father and Son Socks.

3 Comments:

  • I do see what you mean. I wonder if the pattern my mom is using would work well for this yarn... it's the double moss stitch from Sensational Knitted Socks. It turned out very lovely on her socks. I think a lot of the simpler patterns in that book would work well with the yarn. Good luck!

    By Blogger Liz, at Monday, October 16, 2006 5:32:00 PM  

  • I love the idea of modifying the pattern with a closed yo. It will tighten up the gauge though. The yos give it A LOT of lateral stretch. You might want to use the directions of the small/medium size but with 6 & 12 repeats and add length to the foot.

    Let me know if you do it. I'd love to see how it turns out.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, October 17, 2006 10:01:00 AM  

  • I have to agree with you. It seems that cables and bobbles show up best using a simple colored yarn with a dull finish. To be sure, there are some aran sock yarns, yes? (though I cannot remember seeing any) I think Jaegger has something like that and Knit Picks "Gloss" is a simple, rich colored yarn, but solid colors only. Don't know what to tell you about the yarn you have. Think maybe a simple rib sock would be nice using that.

    Ang

    By Blogger Angela, at Sunday, October 22, 2006 2:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home