Auntie Ann Knits

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Sonnet -- finally, some progress

I started this project over one year ago, and one of the reasons that I started blogging was to participate in a Sonnet KAL.

Alas, momentum did not yet get me to complete this project, but I did recently buy buttons for it at the TNNA show in Oakland this fall, and, more importantly, I have actually again begun to knit on it.

Sonnet body

Here is the body, nearly done.

The pattern is Sonnet, on The body is knit sideways in one piece, in garter stitch with bands of box stitch.

My first blog post ever, from May 6, 2006, shows the completed version of a Haiku, the child's version of Sonnet, that I made for my niece. Hence my blogname, Auntie Ann.

The buttons are not sewn on yet, nor have I made the buttonholes. I was persuaded that the sweater would look best with just two buttons toward the top, but I might finish the body and then wear it with a shawl clasp until I can figure out exactly where I want the buttons. Then I can put in afterthought buttonholes.

button close-up

Here's a close-up of one of the two buttons I purchased for this sweater at TNNA. It is a Dichroic glass button, from Geddes Studio, Orangevale, CA. Luckily, I had some of the yarn for this sweater with me for a class. The woman staffing the booth has a great eye for color, let me tell you.

I am determined not to cast on any other projects (except socks -- must have socks on the needles for Thanksgiving with the family) until this is done. Today I will try to seam the shoulders and actually try on the body. Hopefully this will spur me on, rather than kill the momentum again. We shall see.


Post a Comment

<< Home