Auntie Ann Knits

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Tubular Bind-off

I finished the mate to my sock-in-a-day sock with a tubular bind-off:

Tubular bindoff 1x1 2nd

I decided I should learn a new technique from this sock. Now, I did do a Baudelaire heel for the first time on this sock, but was that enough for me? No-o-o. I figured that if I wasn't all that fond of the yarn, I could at least get some more value out of this project by using a new technique. This not very logical, but I did learn a new technique, and you know what? This sock is growing on me, so it's all good. If you spot the mistakes in this bind-off, please don't tell me.

This is a 1x1 bind-off, which I decided I wanted to learn after reading this post of Claudia's, and which I learned from this excellent book:

Stanley

I undid the bind-off of my sock-in-a-day sock and am trying to re-do it with 2x2 tubular bind-off, which at the moment looks like crap and is going to have to be re-done.

What's that you say? Where did I find my copy of Stanley's book in a wire-bound version? At Kinko's, that's where. For about $7.50, and in about 5 minutes, while I waited, they removed the original spine and wire-bound it, and I couldn't be happier with it. If it were only a little bit cheaper I'd have all of my knitting reference books wire-bound.

4 Comments:

  • I like it! And two new techniques on a pair of socks is perfectly fine.

    By Blogger Liz, at Sunday, May 27, 2007 11:30:00 PM  

  • I never would have thought to bring the book to be re-bound; I wonder if Staples will do it. I'm definitely going to bring mine there and find out!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, May 28, 2007 4:54:00 AM  

  • I have been carrying around my Sensational Socks book for a week waiting to find a place to bind it. Yours turned out great. I won a second copy so felt it was worth the small investment to try it out. It seems like someone should be able to this cheaper (?). Love the socks and the cool techniques!

    By Blogger lv2knit, at Monday, May 28, 2007 10:38:00 AM  

  • I love the way this bind-off looks - I'll have to look into it. ....so much to learn.....

    What a great idea to have the book bound - I hate balancing a book that keeps trying to close while trying to follow stitch by stitch directions (on tiny needles with fine yarn)!

    By Blogger Da Gu Ma, at Tuesday, May 29, 2007 1:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home