Auntie Ann Knits

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Sock-in-a-Day Challenge -- Done!

The sock for the Sock-in-a-Day Challenge is done! And within the time limits! Woo-hoo!

Here it is almost done:
almost done

And -- done!
Done!

The colors are a bit more true in the first picture.

I kept this log of my time:
log

I didn't add it up, but it's about 13 hours.

This was a good exercise to do, for a couple of reasons. Now I know about how much effort goes into a sock with a stockinette foot, "Baudelaire" heel, and garter-rib leg, and I never have to time it again. And I decided that I'm not fond of the way this yarn looks knit up, so it's a good thing I had the Challenge to spur me on.

I like the wider stripes I got on the heel flap much better than the skinny stripes, and if I were really a crazy person I would re-knit this sock using both balls to create wider stripes. And that would result in ends to knit in approximately every other row, and I'm not quite that crazy.

I also learned that garter rib (or something very much like it) results in this yarn when you decide to knit the entire round where the yarn changes color and k2, p2 the other rounds. And this is a fine thing.

So I'm very glad I did this, but I never intend to time my knitting again. It makes it seem too much like work, and I like to airily tell muggles who ask how much "work" something took to knit, "none, I do this for pleasure". That is much harder to do with insouciance if I know exactly how many hours are in a project.

6 Comments:

  • Well done, you!

    Not crazy. If you were really picky, you would have redone it and I'd be right there with you.

    I try to measure knitting time by movies. It gives people an idea without having to measure time served. ;^)

    By Blogger Cookie, at Sunday, May 20, 2007 10:58:00 AM  

  • Congratulations finishing a sock in a day. I tried the challenge last Sunday with my first Sideways Sock, but ran out of time :-(

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, May 20, 2007 5:11:00 PM  

  • Wow! I am duly impressed. :)

    By Blogger Romi, at Sunday, May 20, 2007 7:40:00 PM  

  • The socks look great Annie. I alas have "timed" some of my knitting...more along the lines of, if we drive to northern Minnesota and it takes 3 hours, I have enough time to get just past the thumb gusset on my mittens.

    I now know that a pair of mittens, multi-colored, small needles, takes 16 hours. So when someone says, geez, make me a pair, I can gauge whether they are "mitten worthy." I also know a single color, large needle pair only takes 6. So enough said, when someone is gifted with mittens.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, May 21, 2007 8:47:00 AM  

  • Very pretty, and good for you for finishing. Just so you know, if you want to knit from two balls of yarn and alternate each row, you don't have to cut the yarn each row, just carry it up in a line. Makes kind of a wonky stripe, but I always find that less distracting than pooling or whatever else I'm trying to avoid.

    By Blogger Liz, at Monday, May 21, 2007 12:36:00 PM  

  • Nice sock. I am not a big fan of the self-patterning yarn either. You could knit from both skeins without ctting the yarn, just carry it up at the join.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, May 21, 2007 1:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home