Sock-in-a-Day Challenge -- Done!
The sock for the Sock-in-a-Day Challenge is done! And within the time limits! Woo-hoo!
Here it is almost done:
And -- done!
The colors are a bit more true in the first picture.
I kept this log of my time:
I didn't add it up, but it's about 13 hours.
This was a good exercise to do, for a couple of reasons. Now I know about how much effort goes into a sock with a stockinette foot, "Baudelaire" heel, and garter-rib leg, and I never have to time it again. And I decided that I'm not fond of the way this yarn looks knit up, so it's a good thing I had the Challenge to spur me on.
I like the wider stripes I got on the heel flap much better than the skinny stripes, and if I were really a crazy person I would re-knit this sock using both balls to create wider stripes. And that would result in ends to knit in approximately every other row, and I'm not quite that crazy.
I also learned that garter rib (or something very much like it) results in this yarn when you decide to knit the entire round where the yarn changes color and k2, p2 the other rounds. And this is a fine thing.
So I'm very glad I did this, but I never intend to time my knitting again. It makes it seem too much like work, and I like to airily tell muggles who ask how much "work" something took to knit, "none, I do this for pleasure". That is much harder to do with insouciance if I know exactly how many hours are in a project.