Auntie Ann Knits

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

A Dark Little Secret

I am going to let you all in on a dark little secret. That i-cord machine? It's a terrible yarn snob! It does not like dishcloth cotton at all.

However, as you can see from this:
icord blue
the machine has seen the light. Sort of.

My eye pillow that I made looks as though it is in bondage, no? It is doing duty as a sandbag of sorts. The weighted clip that comes with the i-cord machine isn't hefty enough to make the machine behave nicely with the dishcloth cotton. Hence, the additional weight. It wasn't quite enough, and each stitch required a firm tug yank on the cord coming out from the bottom. That would make the loop on the right pop over the top of the hook when it should, and the loop on the left pop down below the latch when it should. Trust me, I have spent a lot of time watching this happen.

Was this worth it? It was nearly as much trouble as knitting it with DPN's, but still faster. And the result is much smoother and more even than I could ever create, especially with this twine yarn. See?
icord closeup

So instead of the traditional Mason-Dixon bib straps that button, I decided to make i-cord ties for this:
heart bib

Isn't this pattern cute? Thanks, Nicole, for the cute pattern! Hmm, Nicole must have steamed hers or something before her photo shoot. Must try that after the ties are sewn on. I'm kind of allergic to irons, but maybe I can make an exception in this case.

6 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home