Auntie Ann Knits

Monday, March 05, 2007

What Weekend?! Now with picture

ETA: My brother sent me this photo of the float. That's him, second from the left, with his DH on the far left.
CNY2007

Alas, the photo doesn't really convey how beautiful the float was -- the globe was lit from within and showed beautifully against the night, even with all of the lights trained on the parade. On the back it said, "Love without Boundaries". The two of them are wearing traditional Chinese groom's outfits. It was their third wedding anniversary last month (yes, I am choosing to ignore the decision of the California Supreme Court voiding their marriage -- your point is?). Happy Anniversary!! Happy New Year!!

Original post:
----------------------------------------------
It was the kind of weekend I need to go back to work to recover from. No, I didn't party all weekend. Not that kind of lost weekend.

Friday night -- knit night. This month was pattern, magazine and book swap (last month was yarn swap). We seem to have limitless yarn we're willing to swap, a bit less so with the patterns, etc. We did swap a bit more yarn for those who missed the last one. I destashed a pair of socks' worth of self-striping, self-patterning sock yarn, which I've gotten a little tired of. And yet, I only parted with one pair of socks' worth. But it was enthusiastically received by someone in our group who knows how to turn it into a pair of socks.

Saturday afternoon -- took the GS troop to First Aid training. Now they are all supposed to be able to Heimlich me if I choke. Lucky me.

Saturday night -- Chinese New Year parade in SF. No pix -- I was so busy screaming and trying to get my brother's attention when his float went by that I failed to get any pix of the float. It was the Gay Asian Pacific Alliance float, and this year was themed, "Love Around the World", with a big illuminated globe with a string of hearts around the equator. He and his husband, along with a number of other couples, were on the float smiling and waving.

Sunday -- up early to pick up a van's worth of GS cookies. Then the sorting and packing off for each girl to deliver. Then sorting and packing DD's cookies, and delivering to some of the neighbors. The bending and lifting -- I am rather sore today. Too much desk work and not enough exercise in my life.

A radio story this morning about GS cookies annoyed me. GS cookies have reduced trans-fat this year. Less than 1/2 gram per serving, like so many grocery store foods, and accordingly they are allowed to be labeled "0g Transfats". Now, a food purist like myself knows darn well that this is different from "Transfat-free". Normally I avoid foods labeled "0g Transfats", because I know that they still have transfats. I make an exception in my life for GS cookies. In my (admittedly biased) opinion, there is nothing misleading about the labeling or the publicity, at least no more so than so many other food products. And did this story applaud GS for reducing the transfats? Oh, no.

Oh, well.

5 Comments:

  • Whew! that does sound like a busy weekend. I'm sorry you didn't get a pic of your brother's float too.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, March 05, 2007 11:09:00 AM  

  • I noticed you have a Brittany. She's adorable and I hope her test results come back clear.

    My husband and I have a 2.5 year old brittany named Cody. He's a handful. I just don't see the breed that often. He's posing on my blog a few posts down!

    By Blogger Jill, at Monday, March 05, 2007 1:45:00 PM  

  • Great picture! Which one is your brother?

    Even though the court voided those marriages, it has spawned a discussion. Times are changing, eventually the law will get over this small-mindedness. Happy Anniversary indeed.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, March 05, 2007 3:21:00 PM  

  • I dislike the press. They are dishonest and as self interested as anyone, and so, so, self righteous with it. Yuk. I love those cookies and the organization, that's why I buy them. (2 boxes peanut butter patties and 1 of thin mints, please) Have you seen 'Over the Hedge,' yet? Too funny! I love the monologue on Girl Scout Cookies!
    How's that wrist doing? Better I hope.

    Ang

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, March 05, 2007 6:58:00 PM  

  • Love the float -- it really showed up very beautifully and the sentiment is beautiful as well.

    PS -- And damn that Susan Rainey!!

    By Blogger lv2knit, at Wednesday, March 07, 2007 4:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home