Auntie Ann Knits

Monday, February 26, 2007

Ode to Knit Bloggers

I'm so excited -- DH is making me this!
yarnwinder

Oops, that's the wrong one! But if you want the instructions for that one, go here.

No, he's making me the yarn swift seen in these instructions. Beautiful in its simplicity, isn't it? I was inspired to ask him this favor after reading on Deepa's blog that she had bought a Mama Bear swift, which mine will resemble somewhat.

Now, unlike Deepa, I am not such a prolific knitter that I am needing to wind a lot of yarn. But I happen to have a woodshop in my garage, and a woodworker in the house. I asked him to do this for my birthday, allowing several months of lead time, since, like many a knitter, he always has multiple projects in the pipeline. Unlike many knitters, his hobby is also part of his (our) livelihood. He produces wood furniture (so far usually built-in vanities) to order from time to time. So I figured I'd wait a while for my swift, and that was fine with me.

I guess I picked the right time to ask! It's not done yet, but it will be soon (I only asked him this morning!). Depends on whether he decides to put multiple coats of whatever on, to finish it. He's already been to the hardware store (might have been going anyway, though) for the dowel and some hardware, I think he had the rest in stash. What a guy!

Hmmm, now I am trying to figure out how to get a tracing of one of those nice sock blockers, so he can make me some. Shouldn't get ahead of myself here, but you know -- there's always our anniversary, and Xmas.

And for the ode part -- no, I am not going to write poetry. You can thank me later.

My good friend Everwhelming Liz wrote me at the last minute before I went to Stitches West (she was trying to hold out, hence the last-minute request) to buy Cookie's Twisted Flower Sock kit for her. I went skiing the day before with the family, and didn't check email before going to the show, and so didn't see her email until I got home. Doh!! But another good friend, Deepa, saved the day!! She got the pattern and yarn as a favor to me and Liz, when she's never met either of us, and will send it to Liz in Texas. Aren't knitbloggers the best?? Thanks, Deepa!

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home