Auntie Ann Knits

Monday, January 22, 2007

Faux Jaywalker Socks -- done!

My first post-Xmas socks (and only the second out of seven pairs I have made that are for ME) are finished!

finished 2

I'm really happy with the way the stripes came out matched. This didn't take a whole lot of effort (not like Matt's socks).

I started with the chevron pattern from Sensational Knitted Socks by Charlene Schurch, but at first I must have mis-calculated the number of stitches required, because I could barely get the leg (that was as far as I knit it) over my heel. Here's that too-tight leg:
false start

So I ripped that and started over with the same chevron stitch pattern, but the stitch count from the famous Jaywalker socks, and the "forethought" heel from SKS, and voila! They seem to have worked out, except that they are actually a tad too big. (And yet I keep reading that Jaywalkers run narrow.) A trip through the wash is in their future to hopefully shrink them up a little bit, but if that doesn't work, well, there is a certain 12-yo in the house with feet just slightly larger than mine.

If I knit these again I would actually chop out the black-and-white faux Fair Isle bits -- I saw somewhere on the Internet where someone had done that with this very yarn, and it worked out fine (I had plenty of yarn left over, so I think this would work for me, too). I really like the forethought heel, the way the stripes are in a bulls'-eye pattern around the heel and the stripe pattern is not disrupted from the leg to the foot.
forethought heels
It's a bit fiddly, but worth it to me.

Here's the muppet-look sock after the heel is finished and grafted, just before the provisionally-cast-on heel stitches are picked up and the waiting instep stitches put back on the needles to knit the foot.

muppet

on feet

Do you notice that one sock is slightly lighter in color than the other? That's not my limited photography skills, that's how they actually are. Did I not get the same dye lot? I did not, I was snatching up yarn at a LYS retirement sale and I don't know now if I knew I was getting different dye lots, or just mis-read the ball bands. This is Schoeller-Stahl Fortissima Colori Socka Color, 75% superwash and 25% polyamid, fingering weight, knit on my kinky #1 Addi Turbo, Magic-loop style as usual.

I'm starting some actual Jaywalkers now, and have just knit the cuff. Which does fit over my foot, so that's a good thing. Whether this one is also too loose remains to be seen. I don't know how that could be with my tight knitting, but after this last one, who knows.

7 Comments:

  • Ann,

    Those socks look fabulous! Maybe I'll be brave enough to try those jaywalkers one day:)

    Ang

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, January 22, 2007 4:50:00 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, January 22, 2007 9:48:00 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger AuntieAnn, at Tuesday, January 23, 2007 4:48:00 PM  

  • I was just talking with someone about the Jaywalker pattern and how it tends to be too tight over the heel. That's one reason I haven't tried them.

    I love the way a bull's eye heel looks, but the only time I did that on a sock it was for my husband. He has such a high arch that it didn't give enough heel for him; I had to take it out and do a traditional (and extra long) heel flap. I think they would work for me, though.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, January 27, 2007 12:35:00 PM  

  • Your socks are wonderful! And the absolutely look quite "matched"!! Hey when hitting sales at our LYS's ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

    By Blogger Michelle Martino, at Saturday, January 27, 2007 2:46:00 PM  

  • AuntieAnn: I just finished a sock using your adaptation of the Widdershins heel. I love it! Thank you SO MUCH for doing the math for a 72-stitch sock. I was just not up to wrapping my brain around the formula provided by Brooke, the designer. Thanks to you, I didn't have to. I will now start on the second sock, confident that the finished pair will fit great.
    You ROCK,
    Julia in St. Paul, MN

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, February 02, 2007 12:18:00 PM  

  • AA -- your SIL is faking you out!

    By Blogger lv2knit, at Saturday, February 03, 2007 10:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home