Auntie Ann Knits

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Tag, I'm It!

I thought a lot about the 6 Weird Things thing that Angela tagged me with.

If I wrote about the first things I thought of, it would just make me sound really, really irritable, because they all started with "I really hate it when -- ". And I am sort of an irritable person, but mostly I manage to stifle myself when I want to complain about these things because I know that they truly are not big things, not worth causing strife over. (Also, to me these things are not that weird, it's the people doing those things that are weird.) So I have kept most, but not all, of my Weird Things free of "I really hate it when --". Here goes:

1. I get cold very easily. I usually have on about one more layer of clothing than everybody else. I blame my mother, for always making me put on a sweater. However, I also get too warm very easily. In short, there is only a very small temperature range at which I am comfortable.

2. I don't like for the heads of my toothbrush and my DH's toothbrush to touch in the toothbrush holder.

3. I am a real stickler for clean dishes. I don't consider dishes really clean unless they have been washed with soap and hot water. I really hate it when other people just rinse theirs and put them in the drainer.

4. Contrariwise, dust is not such a big deal for me. I have been thinking about dust and clean dishes due to the holiday visit, now over, by my in-laws. My MIL is a stickler for dust, and yet she rinses dishes and puts not-quite-clean dishes in the drainer. With particles of food still on them. This made me nuts. The dust in my house no doubt made her nuts, but in general we were each polite enought to shut up about it. (She asked me whether the glasses on the top shelf were clean, and I said of course, or they wouldn't be in the cupboard. Turns out she was wondering if they were dusty.)

5. Generally, I am simply incapable of napping. Even when really tired. If I manage it, I oversleep and wake up groggy rather than refreshed.

6. I hold grudges. I realize this is not a nice habit, and not something I like about myself, but there it is. I don't mean to say that I don't try to let go of grudges since I know I should, but my limited and sporadic efforts at self-improvement in this respect are so far not very successful.

There it is. I realize most of these things aren't that weird. It's not that there is nothing that weird about me, I'm sure that's not true, but perhaps my self-knowledge has not developed to the point that I can easily see the weird things about me.

I took pix of my Xmas knits (yay! all were finished in time!), and hope to post them soon. Some were received ecstatically, other recipients were ho-hum. Unless I get gushing thank-you notes from the ho-hum recipients, I'm going to be pretty ho-hum about making future hand-knits for them.

We're going up to the mountains this weekend, hence the new avatar, and I will bring my new iPod shuffle (my first iPod -- aww), which is my new favorite knitting accessory, loaded with an entire 12-disc audio book (a mystery called "Playing with Fire"), three episodes of Cast-on, an episode of Wait Wait . . . Don't Tell Me, and an episode of Coffee Break Spanish (this last I never heard of before, I just discovered it on the NPR website). Not that I will be able to listen to all this in this single trip, I just wanted to see how much a gig really is. What's that? Oh, most people use them for music?? Hmmm, maybe that's 7 weird things about me.

5 Comments:

  • Absolutely nothing wierd about #'s 2, 3, 4, and 6! Toothbrushes touching - ewww (strange we don't mind their tongues in our mouths). Rinsed does NOT equal washed! Dust - you'll never be able to keep up so why try?
    Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, holds a grudge like I do (I'm not proud of it, but I'm aware of it).
    So, either you are not very wierd at all or we are both fruitcakes :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, December 28, 2006 3:37:00 PM  

  • Ann,
    I recently got a new shuffle, too! Love mine. I'm posting a link from yarn a-go-go. She has a new cozy pattern for her Nike/iPod combo. She used the toe up sock pattern and adapted it to make the cozy. Too cool. Think I'll do something like that for my shuffle.

    Ang

    By Blogger Angela, at Thursday, December 28, 2006 5:33:00 PM  

  • Hey, glad to see some people liked your gifts! I'm with you on the dishes/dust thing, although I tend to let the dishwasher do most of the "hot water" part.

    Currently on my I-pod are a few chapters of a Tale of Two Cities and some other fun podcasts. They're great for that!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, December 28, 2006 9:01:00 PM  

  • Thanks for responding. I felt kinda bad tagging anyone. Don't think I'll be doing that again. Glad you've had a nice Holiday.

    Take Care:)

    Ang

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, January 04, 2007 8:08:00 PM  

  • i share some of your weirdnesses :) though i have shed my inability to nap somehow and can now nap for exactly one hour in the middle of the day when the luxury presents itself. it's a delightful thing to be able to do.
    i *just* read your comment on "what not to knit" *oops* about the footless tights--so sorry! i've bought something like that, but ankle length, in the department store hosiery section, and even seen them in the drug store. i seem to recall that they have capri and above-the-knee lengths as well in the same sections. hanes makes some and another company that's become pretty ubiquitous in the hosiery sections but whose name escapes me at the moment does as well. (pretty helpful, huh?) if my response isn't too late, i'm betting that if you went to target or macy's and hit their hosiery departments, you'd find what you want. i think i paid about $8 or $12 for my footless tights at macy's.
    i promise to be better about checking my comments!! :)

    By Blogger LisaBe, at Saturday, January 06, 2007 5:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home