Auntie Ann Knits

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Even Weirder Things, and New Year's Meme

Paper Tiger tagged me for this Meme, but I have been very delinquent in responding.

First Things First

What is the first thing you did in the new year?

We were at beautiful Echo Lodge near Lake Tahoe, and I didn't stay up until Midnight, so -- sleep.

What is the first thing you ate in the new year?

A delicious communal breakfast with leftover ham from the night before, oatmeal pancakes, leftover corn bread and eggs. "Leftovers" don't sound tasty, but believe me, these were.

What is the first thing you knit in the new year?

A red scarf for the Red Scarf Project. I used this pattern by Maia, but mine is not as lovely, being plain red. No photo just now. I spit spliced the skeins in the middle, although I am embarassed to admit that on the first attempt I actually picked the wrong end out of the pile-o'-scarf I had sitting there -- yes, I actually managed to splice the new end to the cast-on tail.

What is your first ‘blessing’ of the new year?

The holidays are over. 'Nuff said.

What is the first thing you will do to make the world a better place in the new year?

I have to laugh a little at this one. "Make the world a better place" is part of the Girl Scout law, and also part of the GS mission statement, which reads, "Girl Scouting builds girls of courage, confidence and character, who make the world a better place". I'm a GS leader, and so I suppose that the first thing will be the first GS meeting of the year this coming Sunday.

Post the first photo you took in the new year!

false start

This is a false start on my socks for ME! Some of my hand-knit Xmas gifts were received in a very underwhelming manner, making me all the more eager to knit something for myself, after having finished the Xmas knits and the Red Scarf Project scarf. This pattern was from Sensational Knitted Socks by Charlene Schurch, but it turned out too tight -- I could barely get it over my heel. So, it's been ripped. The successful successor sock worked, and I'll post it next time.

Happy New Year! I'm not tagging anyone with this, it's too far past New Year's.

And the weird things? I can't believe that when I wrote my previous deadly dull post I omitted some of the truly, obviously weird things about me.

1. I used to be something of an outdoor adventurer, and one spring I had to be rescued from the mountains by a US Navy helicopter & crew due to a bad case of pulmonary edema -- a form of altitude sickness. We had been on a backcountry ski trip, and the helo ride happened to fall on my birthday. It was a very nice present, indeed.

2. And then there's the time I took a long fall while climbing the face of Half Dome in Yosemite, and heard tourists talking about me the next morning on the top. It's usually a two-day climb, but it took us a skosh more.

3. Despite the adventuring, I have never broken a bone (although my right ACL is severed due to a minor downhill skiing fall). I had my appendix out the same year as the ACL tear. Not a banner year for me.

4. ETA -- I have climbed down El Capitan in Yosemite, but not up. And for a climber, that's weird.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home