Auntie Ann Knits

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Those Darn Sock Darning Eggs

Dear Ang:

I finally made it to the Post Office, and these are on their way to you:
Ang's eggs

I think they're very interesting and pretty! I hope you like them.

Here are the ones staying here:
Ann's eggs

The brown one is the one I found in the old sewing box of our friend's late mom. The red ones I got in the same batch as yours.

I still find the red one that is shaped a bit like the toe of a shoe tree the most intriguing, and soon I hope to try it out when I graft the toe of the "Gentleman's Fancy Sock", the first. I've never grafted a sock toe! Wish me luck.

Best,
Ann

3 Comments:

  • It's EASY if you find a good tutorial. Mine was in Sensational Knitted Socks. The only hard part is figuring out to do with the last two stitches--I usually tack them down and then use duplicate stitching all around to get them to blend in. My first socks have little horns on the sides of the toes, it was before I'd figure out how to do that.

    By Blogger Liz, at Tuesday, September 26, 2006 4:50:00 PM  

  • I got my eggs in the mail! They are awesome! Can't wait to try using one to kitchner a sock toe.

    Ang

    By Blogger Angela, at Saturday, September 30, 2006 1:39:00 PM  

  • I love the darning eggs, and am fascinated that they look like darning maraccas. Just think....if they had beans inside....you could be a darned good rhythm section!

    I have one I found somewhere - my mom's old sewing basket or maybe my grandmother's. It's a glass egg (no handle) with a handpainted design that has mostly worn off with age...and being stuffed inside socks.

    When I get to the toe of sock #2 of my first pair, I plan to try it - what a great idea!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, October 03, 2006 11:33:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home