Auntie Ann Knits

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Sock the First and Sock the Second

I don't believe I ever inflicted on you posted the pix of my first "real" socks (I'm not counting my tube socks, which I will inflict on you show you soon). (Why yes, I did just learn how to show text as stricken. How did you know?) Anyway, here are the socks I have dubbed "Sock the First" (on the right) and "Sock the Second":
Sock 1 & 2 on

I know they don't quite match, especially the heels:
Sock 1 & 2 on (2)

But I love 'em anyway, they're my first real socks. I wore them a couple of times (eww!) before I had the nerve to put them through the washer, but as you can see they came out just fine. Thanks to those of you who shared your laundering tips!

These are based on the free sock pattern from KnitPicks for this yarn, but Sock the Second has a Magic Cast-on toe, and they both have short-row heels from Wendy's generic toe-up sock pattern. I used the bind-off from Grumperina's Dad's sock. That bind-off is nice and stretchy, but takes a lot of yarn, hence the ultra-skinny last stripe of maroon.

I love 'em, even with all their flaws, but next time I'm going to try to give my striped socks matching bulls'-eye heels with the "forethought heel" from Sensational Knitted Socks by Charlene Schurch. And match the stripes better.

2 Comments:

  • I think these are very cool, just the way they are! They're like little individuals!:)

    Ang

    By Blogger Angela, at Thursday, September 21, 2006 5:53:00 PM  

  • hehe those are cute. And they match a lot better than some of the socks I've seen in self-striping yarn.

    A lot of people prefer the fit of the top-down heel, and I know the way the heel is turned uses much less complicated short rows. I have to say I am a fan.

    Mom got me a knitting journal for christmas that's actually graph paper, so I can take notes but also chart out patterns. It's indispensible, I would die without my knitting journal. Especially for things like socks, which need to match. I also use mine to mark how many rows I've done, much easier for me than a row counter most days.

    By Blogger Liz, at Thursday, September 21, 2006 10:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home