Auntie Ann Knits

Monday, March 31, 2008

Recycled Sweaters live on!

In case you're still in suspense over my lobster claw / sock, I did in fact finish it and have even worn the pair a couple of times. I have pictures, too, that I will put up.

But for today, we are all about the recycled sweater love.

My friend Thek, who lives in Chicago-land, picked up some thrift store sweaters and a belt and made this cute teddy bear, sweater and bag:

Thek's bear and bag

Thek says: I would just like to add that the bag cost $2.90 to make. $2 for the sweater and $.90 for the belt from Salvation Army. The sweater the bear is wearing came out of the same $2 sweater. The bear was made out of felt from another $2 sweater from which I have lots of other left-over felt. If you know how much yarn it takes to make a felt purse, you know what a savings this is.

Thek with bear and bag

And here she is, showing off her creations.

What great projects! I have to say, though, that thrift stores in the Chicago area are probably better treasure troves of feltable sweaters than those around here. I'll have to keep looking.

4 Comments:

  • Your friend is very clever and industrious :)
    Adorable bear...love his sweater...and the bag is very cute!

    By Blogger hakucho, at Monday, March 31, 2008 4:36:00 PM  

  • That's a very good idea. I do go into thrift stores but usually to look for old knitting needles for my collection.

    By Blogger Ann, at Monday, March 31, 2008 5:17:00 PM  

  • That bear's sweater has got to be the cutest recycled sweater project I've seen! And how clever to use a belt as a strap. I think I may have to revisit my thrifted sweater stash and the thrift store itself tomorrow!

    By Blogger J, at Monday, March 31, 2008 9:02:00 PM  

  • We have quite a few thrift stores and I usually skip over the sweater section...I'll have to give it a second look next time!

    Ang

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, April 01, 2008 3:02:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home