Auntie Ann Knits

Friday, November 24, 2006

An Unidentified Finished Object

Doesn't this look like the dog's breakfast?
Moebius

I think it looks better in person, and hopefully the recipient will, too.

I tried to take a close-up of the stitch pattern:
Moebius pattern

Crummy light today, but I am hoping to wrap this and get it in the mail soon, since it has to go to Vermont for Xmas.

It is a Moebius scarf (couldn't you tell?!) for my uncle's girlfriend. That is such an inadequate term when he's in his 80's and she's been with him over 20 years, but -- well, I'm open to suggestions.

I've been making socks so much lately that I was astonished at how quickly this knit up. That's what bulky yarn will do for you.

Knitty gritty:
Yarn: bulky Bouton d'Or Otello, color "Calypso", 50 gr./50 yds., 50% wool, 50% mohair
Needles: size 11 Denise
CO: 192 stitches. (In theory, anyway -- somehow it came out too few, and I fudged it)
Pattern: basic stitch pattern adapted from Cat Bordhi's Cashmere Cowl: *Yo, k6, k2tog, yo, p6, p2tog. Repeat from * to end of round. Next round, K the K's and P the P's. Lather, rinse, repeat. Cat's pattern would have you knit only, no purls. This comes out with stockinette on one side of the center spine and reverse stockinette on the other. Mine alternates the stitch patterns for more variety. I think it came out OK. I ended with 2 garter stitch rows and a standard bind-off.

This was an extremely fast knit, which helped me knock one more item from my Xmas knitting to-do list.

Next up: socks for my half-brother.

1 Comments:

  • I hate to tell you this, Anne, but I'm not sure your UFO will fly with that big hole in it ;-)

    Looks good, though, and I'm sure it will be appreciated. Girlfriend is a fine word in that situation, even if it seems a little more high school than 20-years-together.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, November 26, 2006 1:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home