Auntie Ann Knits

Monday, September 11, 2006

Sock Eggs

Ever since I saw this post about the usefulness of a darning egg for grafting sock toes (and such a beautiful darning egg!), I wanted one, even though I am very partial to toe-up socks for a number of reasons, one of which is avoiding grafting sock toes.

Imagine my surprise to find I already owned one:
Sock Egg

This was sitting around in an ugly old plastic sewing box that a friend had given to me and DD after his mom passed away. I know I must have seen this before, but it just didn't register before I read Deb's post.

And then I became intrigued and made the mistake of searching Ebay for darning eggs. And found these:
sock darning eggs

I bid $2.25 (I know, such a fortune!) and immediately regretted it. Why was I bringing more crap into the house? We're trying to cut down on our crap! I waited, hoping to be out-bid, but no such luck. I even asked my friend Ang to choose 2 of the 4 for herself, hoping to jinx it (that wasn't very nice of me, was it?), but it didn't jinx it, and these are supposed to be on their way to me as we speak. Still, I feel better knowing that 2 of them will immediately leave the house again.

I do feel that one of the wonderful things about knitting is the connection with those who have gone before -- even if we try new materials, tools and methods, and do this as a hobby and not a necessity (most of us), the basics are the same and connect us to knitters from earlier times. Not that I feel like a pioneer woman as I knit a sock, but -- well, maybe I do, a tiny bit.

7 Comments:

  • You're right...that wasn't very nice. I'll be sure to remember to kick you in the arse when I get mine in the mail.??! ;->

    Ang

    By Blogger Angela, at Thursday, September 14, 2006 9:04:00 AM  

  • Very lovely eggs. My mom saw this post and said that her darning egg is just an egg- a painted glass egg with no handle. Good thing somebody thought to put a handle on, because this looks a LOT easier to hold.

    By Blogger Liz, at Thursday, September 14, 2006 11:59:00 AM  

  • I got all the way to the bind off, messed up the bind off, got about halfway through trying to fix the bind off and went to Italy for two months. When I got back I had all this other stuff, and then I needed the needle, blah blah blah. It won't take more than a half hours' work but there are so many more exciting things in my life.

    Like the sweater I just started (cuddles yarn).

    By Blogger Liz, at Thursday, September 14, 2006 1:55:00 PM  

  • I recently read that post and HAD TO HAVE a darning egg too! First I just went to the craft store and bought a wooden egg for $1.29 and it worked great. Then a fellow knitter at knit night happened to have 2 her mother had given her and was nice enough to give me one. What a difference it makes! I just love not having to worry about the tension as I do the kitchener stitch and the finished toe is perfect every time.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, September 18, 2006 10:42:00 AM  

  • I finished the heel on my second sock last night. I paused a bit up the leg of the first one and put it on waste yarn so I could do the second heel without forgetting what I'd done. Now I just have to knit two tubes forever.

    You'll probably think this is gross but since I never wear my socks outside the house or for very long, I hardly ever wash them. When I do I hand wash them because I don't trust my handknits to coin-operated machines, ESPECIALLY in Texas in the summer- even the cold tap water comes out hot. I wash em in the sink with my regular detergent. I think I may have washed them at home once in Mom's superfancy washing machine, on the "handwash" setting. I'm sure the socks can take more of a beating than I'm willing to give them, but better safe than sorry!

    By Blogger Liz, at Tuesday, September 19, 2006 7:56:00 AM  

  • I love what you said about feeling tied to the knitters that have gone before us. I feel the same way. An old tool makes you wonder what the previous owners made and who they knit for.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, September 24, 2006 7:51:00 AM  

  • Aw, heck,

    These old tools are beautiful, and sanctioned, if you will, by the hands of the women who held them before.

    Enjoy them, pet them occasionally, and if they've reproduced like rabbits, give them to your knitting friends, who may never have seen such things before.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, November 11, 2006 5:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home