Auntie Ann Knits

Saturday, September 09, 2006

A Magic Loop Cautionary Tale

I'm using this yarn from this vendor to knit socks for my BIL, although their pic makes it look lighter and more purple than in real life. In real life it is darker and more red, as you can see here.
Fancy Sock

Anyway, here's the cautionary tale -- I carefully cast on 80 teensy stitches, slipped the stitches to the appropriate ends of the one needle (I'm a magic loop convert), joined, and then -- knit on one end of the needle about 3 rows back and forth without ever knitting the stitches on the other end of the needle. I would not have supposed that this was even possible, but for some reason I started sort of inside-out (with the business ends of the needles farthest from me instead of nearest to me) and I think that may be why. Or maybe I should really only attempt things like this in a quiet place, all alone. Or maybe I'm just meant to knit toe-up, I dunno. Sorry, no pic of that travesty. I feel sometimes that I'm living that saying about inspiring others by setting a bad example.

I spose this happened cuz I was in a class and making an effort to participate and listen attentively and cast-on for a cuff-down sock (I can hear your gasp of surprise from here) all at the same time. The pattern I chose for my BIL's sock is the "Gentleman's Fancy Sock" from Knitting Vintage Socks by Nancy Bush, and I thought that I might as well learn to do cuff-down socks.

I don't know if this same mistake is possible with 2 circ's, but I perhaps it is -- anything is possible.

I recovered and now have knit the 2x2 ribbed cuff plus the beginnings of the leg decrease rounds for calf shaping, and I think the yarn is very pretty. It's maroon and black bi-color (very manly, don't you think?).

So far I'm very happy with this pattern and this yarn. We'll have to see how I fare with the heel, heels have been the hardest part of sock-knitting by far for me. OTOH, I have yet to graft a toe, so I don't want to speak too soon.

I'm very intrigued by the "forethought heel" from Sensational Knitted Socks by Charlene Schurch, especially the way it looks with self-striping yarn, although many in blogland have called it "too fiddly" and worse. Still, I want to try that on my next pair of self-striping socks.

Knit on!

3 Comments:

  • Very pretty! Your BIL is going to love these.


    Ang

    By Blogger Angela, at Monday, September 11, 2006 3:54:00 PM  

  • i love the way the ribbing moves. Do not fear the heel flap and round heel. It is easier than short rows with wraps and turns. And grafting? As long as you have a good tutorial, it's nothing to fear.

    You and I are knitting parallel universes. I am working on my first toe-up sock, all my previous have been top-down.

    Schurch describes everything really well. Trust her and all will be well.

    By Blogger Liz, at Monday, September 11, 2006 8:46:00 PM  

  • the widdershins pattern is a pretty good imitation of the top-down heel flap and round heel. i like it so far!

    By Blogger Liz, at Tuesday, September 12, 2006 8:30:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home