Auntie Ann Knits

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Sunday Socks

I started out to make the Undulating Rib Socks from Favorite Socks.

False start

Wrong pattern for this yarn. It just looks lumpy.

That was on a Friday. This is another story a bit like the High Anxiety Socks. You will all think I am a hopeless bundle of anxiety and nerves, and perhaps you will not be far wrong.

Saturday morning I ripped out the Friday sock and began a plain sock, with an inch of ribbing.

I was intending this sock for my BIL for Xmas. So it was 72 stitches around (mine I usually make at 64 stitches), on a US #1 circ.

I knitted on this plain sock every chance I got on Saturday. It was another form of anxiety sock, because I had promised my mother to take her shopping for her new mattress on Saturday. Her previous mattress? She had had it for all of about a week.

We spent 4 hours in the mattress shop Saturday, with a short break for lunch. Every mattress that she was interested in, I had to lie on as well. By the end of this time, I knew by heart the coil count, coil gauge, coil construction and padding make-up of all the ones she was primarily interested in.

She finally made a decision about 4:00 (if you order by 4:30 they deliver the following day), and I left. I knit on the Saturday Sock all through Dreamgirls that night.

On Sunday, I decided that the plain 72-stitch sock was ugly and it kept freaking me out because it looked so large to me. I ripped it all out and started a sock with 2x2 ribbing on the leg and instep. And here it is:

Sunday Sock

Alas, it is too short. I did the end of this sock in the car, on the way to drop DD at music camp, and although I did measure, I started the toe decreases too early. DH tried it on and declared that both the foot and the leg are too short. Now, his foot is a bit larger than BIL's, but still.

This sock actually fits me pretty darn well, because of the ribbing, I suppose. But I'm not crazy about the colors. If I'm going to wear hand-knit socks, they should be brighter, prettier ones, it seems to me. It might fit one of my brothers who has small feet pretty well, his feet are not much larger than mine. But he lives in San Diego, and these are wool socks. Last year I made him socks from the same cotton / wool blend as my High Anxiety socks, which he liked. Then again, he was also the very most enthusiastic recipient of all my hand-knitted socks last Xmas, so maybe they are destined to be his.

So, dear readers, here is my dilemma -- do I rip this sock back to the top of the heel flap to make the leg longer, and knit the foot longer? Or keep them? Or give them to my San Diego brother? The second leg is almost to the point where I must decide.

I'd love to hear your suggestions.

As to the new, new mattress, first she liked it, then for some reason she put on the pillow top from her old mattress, then she hated it and wanted to return it, then took off the pillow top and loved it, then she wasn't so crazy about it. The saga continues, but at this point I'm afraid to ask. I really don't want to spend another 4 hours in a mattress store any time real soon.

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • I say you cut your losses and give it to your brother. Unless you like how they feel on. Then keep them for house socks. Yeah, I'm real helpful. *L*

    Like the yarn, tho.

    You're a saint. I would not be nearly that good a sport for shopping for anything for anyone else.

    By Blogger Cookie, at Tuesday, August 07, 2007 1:07:00 PM  

  • Those definitely want to be man socks. I say Matt gets them, though you may want to lengthen the cuff anyway. Boys like surprisingly long socks.

    By Blogger Liz, at Tuesday, August 07, 2007 7:05:00 PM  

  • Wow, you are a good daughter. Though apparently as one gets older, one feels the deterioration of the mattress more acutely (and as one sleeps less well, one spends more time staring at the ceiling and pondering the mattress).

    By Blogger Paper Tiger, at Tuesday, August 07, 2007 8:51:00 PM  

  • I say, finish the socks, put them in your stash, and either gift them to someone, or donate them to a silent auction, when it seems appropriate. You could walk around your neighborhood staring at everyone's feet, get a list of neighbors with the right size feet, and when sickness strikes, bring over the most thoughtful pair of handknit socks any neighbor could hope for.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, August 12, 2007 7:07:00 AM  

  • I vote give them to your brother. :)

    By Blogger Romi, at Sunday, August 12, 2007 8:49:00 AM  

  • Those socks are lovely. They need to go to a man and maybe your brother. Nice:)

    Ang

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, August 13, 2007 3:30:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home