Auntie Ann Knits

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Embossed Leaves Socks

I wrote before about the cast-on and cuffs and needle sizes for the Embossed Leaves Socks I was making for Lorri to give her as a gift.

Well, done and done, and now they can be shown.

bow 2

I happened to have this lovely green ribbon, and presented them thusly. She seemed pleased.


on glass 2

The drinking glass models the leg of the first sock.


on glass from above

I'm trying to show off the cool cast-on for this sock, but I'm afraid this photo only gets part-way there.


Heels

Here are the heels. This is probably closer to the true color, also. I only just noticed that hole by the gusset and heel flap. Oops! This is not the pattern heel, BTW.


on Lorri's feet 2

On Lorri's feet.


Lorri's toes

And those cool toes.


Details:

Yarn by All Things Heather. A bit underspun, it seemed to me. Nicely dyed if you like green, which fortunately Lorri does.

Needles: KnitPicks 2.5 mm, 2.75 mm, and 3.0 mm. This is the newest one of my many oddities, multiple needle sizes for a single pair of socks. No doubt 2 sizes would be enough for any normal person. The ribbing is on the 3.0 (or you could just do non-twisted ribbing), the first repeat or so is on the 2.75, and the rest on the 2.5.

Mods: I used the pattern cast-on, which I blathered about at great length here, then went down to smaller needles since I like my socks snug. I didn't use the pattern heel, but what is becoming my standard eye-of-partridge heel flap. I used the pattern toes, but didn't decrease to quite what the pattern called for, since so few stitches always makes weird pointy toes for me. Oh, yes, I made the stems of the leaves with Ktbl to give a bit more definition to them. I think this worked well, although I'm not sure you can see in the pix.

Time: I can't say, since between sock one and sock 2 I knit another sock.

Again? Maybe, but all in all I prefer the Waving Lace Socks. Also, I think I'd try to jigger the pattern to have fewer purl stitches if I did these again.

But that's just me.

6 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home