Auntie Ann Knits

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Marriage Equality!

No knitting in this post either. I do have knitting to share, I just haven't gotten to posting it quite yet.

This is just to say -- in 30 days my brother and his partner of over 20 years can legally marry in California. I am so thrilled. Can't wait for the wedding, in fact.

Stuart and John get the news
Stuart and John get the happy news.

Here is a story on the subject, and you can see my brother Stuart and my BIL-to-be in a video on that page.

They were in fact married in 2004 in San Francisco City Hall, but, along with several thousand others, had their marriage declared void by the courts.

Now they can do it again, with a party and everything, and it will be legal.

Much as I hate to add a down note to this joyous announcement, I must. Those who favor marriage discrimination are trying to qualify an initiative for the November ballot that would write discrimination into our state constitution.

I for one plan to do all I can to oppose those efforts. Let us move toward less discrimination, not more.

6 Comments:

  • That's wonderful news! Now if the rest of the country would follow.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, May 16, 2008 3:00:00 AM  

  • Excellent news. Your brother and his partner are the picture of joy - isn't it sad that so many "traditional" couples seem to lack that light in their eyes?

    I won't write an editorial, but I'd sure like to have a word or three with people who make it their business to prevent others' happiness and security.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, May 16, 2008 4:06:00 AM  

  • My BIL just gave us the good news that he will be marrying his partner in October. I have no idea where or if the ceremony will be "legal" or not...but the love and commitment is the most important part of any marriage, right? :) It's nice though to finally see some states recognizing that the love is real and not "threatening" to "traditional marriage." Puh-leaze.

    By Blogger J, at Saturday, May 17, 2008 1:55:00 PM  

  • How wonderful for your brother and future brother-in-law - they look so happy. Love and commitment are treasures on this earth.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, May 20, 2008 4:15:00 PM  

  • Congrats to your brother. That is great news! Never thought t would happen in the near future in CA!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, May 25, 2008 12:29:00 AM  

  • Congratulations! I was so happy when I heard the news about the court decision. I can't imagine why people think it is okay to discriminate against people because of sexual orientation. I am hoping to go to a lot of weddings in the near future! :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, May 29, 2008 10:12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home