Auntie Ann Knits

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Log Cabin-itis

I'm loving making log cabin squares:

Log Cabin group


The stockinette centers were originally made by my DD (age 11), and we were thinking they would eventually become an afghan, perhaps. Now we have decided to make them into log cabin squares for a baby blanket for our next door neighbor's baby, due in December. I know these are not very traditional baby-ish colors, but where is the knitting law that babies have to have pastels, anyway? Bah!

Here is the first one, which WILL not lie flat and will probably have to be re-done (I confess I deserve a citation for failure to pick up enough stitches):

Log cabin yellow


These two are NOT twins, despite what the pic is telling you (one is more purple-y than the other), but the colors are so close we will have to locate them apart from each other, like children in class who can't stop talking and giggling:

Log cabin twins


And this one -- the show-off of the bunch, but doesn't it clash a bit?

Log Cabin pink


Well, the whole thing is a bright hodge-podge of colors, all selected by DD -- I think it'll work out fine.

I am knitting in as I go as many ends as I can, per Nona's instructions, which works great and generally doesn't show through at all, except with solid white areas and a darker color knitted in. Otherwise, with this many ends, I'd by stymied by the weaving-in and never finish it at all.

We're going away for a week to family summer camp (this is one of my favorite things! Alas, not quite so much for DH), so no more posting until the 24th.

2 Comments:

  • Oh thank you for deviating from the pastels and gender-color-references! The blanket will be bright and energetic no doubt, with all the great colors in there. Will keep looking for the completed blanket, law-violating square and all! :) In the meanwhile, happy camping!

    By Blogger Deepa, at Friday, July 14, 2006 12:58:00 PM  

  • Nonsense! It's nearly impossible for quilt squares to clash. They all look very nice. Can't wait 'til you start to piece it together!

    Ang

    By Blogger Angela, at Friday, July 21, 2006 10:35:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home